Definition of Illegal Electricity Use; Prepared by the Energy Market Regulatory Authority and published in the Official Gazette no. 30436 on 30.05.2018; The electricity market is defined in the seventh part of the consumer services regulation. In accordance with the situations in the regulation, illegal electrical energy consumption is determined.
Within the framework of the published regulation, it is also included which states will be considered illegal electricity. If you have one of these conditions in the law, it is considered that illegal electricity is used.
Electricity distribution companies and EPDK; they strive to prevent such use with the preventive measures they take within the scope of combating the use of illegal electricity.
Illegal Electricity Consumption Detection
- In terms of the place of use of the natural or legal person;
- a) To consume electrical energy by interfering with the distribution system without retail sales contract or bilateral agreement,
- b) by pulling a separate line while the retail sales contract or bilateral agreement exists; to consume electrical energy without being passed through the meter by interfering with the distribution system,
- c) By interfering with the meters or measurement system while the retail sales contract or bilateral agreement exists; preventing the correct determination of consumption; incomplete or incorrect measurement or consumption of electrical energy in violation of the legislation by being passed through the meter, which has not been measured or legally established at all,
- ç) To turn on the electrical energy cut by the legal entity with a distribution license; in accordance with the relevant legislation, except in cases of compulsory reasons,
is considered to be the consumption of illegal electrical energy.
How to Detect Leaky Electrical Energy Consumption?
The basis of the use of illegal electricity; it is seen that by interfering with the measurement system, the meter does not record any consumption; saves less consumption as a result of the intervention or relies on the use of electrical energy without any measurement system.
Leaky Electrical Energy Detection Process
The process of detecting the use of illegal electricity after the description of illegal electricity use; is also in article 43 of the same regulation;
- (1) within the scope of paragraphs (a) and (b) of the first paragraph of article 42; direct interventions to the distribution system eliminate connections to the distribution system. The leaky electrical detection report in ANNEX-5 is issued at the place of use and the electricity of the place of use is cut off.
- (2) If a finding is found to cause suspicion that the counter has been interfered with within the scope of paragraph (c) of the first paragraph of article 42, the following illegal detection process is initiated;
- a) The existing meter is examined by removing the meter and installing a suitable meter in its place.
- b) The meter replacement report in ANNEX-6 for the dismantled and installed meters is issued.
- c) If it is determined by the laboratory report that electrical energy is consumed incompletely or incorrectly by interfering with the counter as a result of the examination and preventing the correct detection of consumption, the leak detection report in ANNEX-5 is issued.
- ç) Laboratory report, illegal electricity detection report and payment notification are reported to the consumer together. And within the same period of time, the power of the place of use is cut off by is issued.
Detection Process of Illegal Electricity Use
- (3) Within the scope of paragraph (ç) of the first paragraph of article 42, the leaky electrical detection report in ANNEX-5 is issued at the place of use and the electricity of the place of use is cut off.
- (4) The legal entity with a distribution license filed a criminal complaint with the Public Prosecutor’s Office regarding natural or legal persons whose illegal electricity consumption was detected as a result of the illegal detection process.
- (5) In detecting the consumption of illegal electrical energy; it is essential that the relevant legal entity based its determination on the correct findings and documents and that consumer rights are not violated.
- (6) The illegal electricity consumption invoice organized within the scope of this article is sent to the consumer within 3 working days at the latest.
- (7) The determinations and transactions carried out within the scope of this article are photographed to include the place of use and consumers are informed with the permanent data store if contact information is found.
Paragraph 5 of article 43 states that it is essential that consumer rights are not violated.
This week we wanted to share with you the detection process and definition of illegal electricity use. Next week we will share the use and detection of irregular electricity; and the following week we will share the rights of consumers to object.